Intimacy Choreography / Intimacy Director / Intimacy Coordinator
AEA, CAEA, SSDC, BAE, ACTRA
“Chemistry is rooted in vulnerability between two harmonious minds.
Giving actors the freedom
to explore that authentic,
intimate expression in a safe, consensual, and diverse space
is my role."
Bio & CV
What is an Intimacy Coordinator?
An Intimacy Coordinator is a practitioner who advocates for the actor when scenes of intimate content, including nudity, sexual simulation or power dynamics exist. An IC brings a skill and a process to the set much like a stunt coordinator brings to a fight or a choreographer brings to a dance. Through open communication and clear conversations an IC establishes boundaries and consent amongst all departments so that the actor feels safe and emboldened to deliver a compelling story. An IC is NOT the sex police quite the opposite. Once a set is deemed consensual, and boundaries are in place, the actor is liberated to connect to the physical and emotional story-telling...and have fun with it.
When do you need an Intimacy Coordinator?
- Whenever there are scenes of intimacy nudity, partial nudity, sexual simulation, power dynamics and/or spoken intimacy.
- When riders are required
- If an actor feels they need support, a bystander, or help moving through intimate scenes safely and organically.
- In the situation of minors and intimacy
- If the production wants to ensure that their work environment is consent based, safe and following the protocols of SAG/AFTRA/ACTRA.
What do I bring?
- Over 30 years of professional experience as a movement director, choreographer and director
- Patience and calm during challenging situations
- Open communication, warmth and sensitivity
- A penchant for what's sexy
- Tools for de-roling, chemistry, vulnerability and empowermentv
- Respect for the Director and their storytelling
- Creative alternatives
- A process exploring tone, humor, sound, breath and movement
- Mental health and psychological first aid certifications
For services contact:
daCosta Talent Agency
For UK services contact:
Agent: Sam Day
+44 (0) 207 427 5681